Where to donate to support the crisis in Turkey (Türkiye)
Last updated: February 8, 2023
One of the most powerful earthquakes in Turkey’s (Türkiye’s) history has killed more than 8,500 people, injured tens of thousands and the number of people affected is expected to increase. The region is home to millions of refugees, and people are in dire need of food, clean water, shelter, blankets, medical supplies and other essential healthcare services.
To support this urgent situation, we have provided a list of vetted humanitarian nonprofits that
are helping with the rescue and recovery efforts, as well as those providing essential supplies to the region.
As the situation evolves, we will continue to update this post with additional vetted nonprofits supporting with rescue and recovery efforts.
U.S.-based organizations to donate to:
- International Medical Corps: Bringing medical and mental health services, as well as
vital supplies to people affected by the quakes.
- Save the Children: Ready to respond with urgent supplies of food, shelter and warm
- Direct Relief: Supporting urgent search and rescue efforts in the earthquake zone.
- International Rescue Committee: Sending emergency supplies to children and families,
including those with no power, no water, and inadequate shelter.
- World Central Kitchen: Providing meals in response to humanitarian, climate, and
- Turkish Philanthropy Funds: Providing immediate relief to survivors in the form of food, shelter, water, and medicine.
- Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF): Providing emergency medical kits and medical staff in Gaziantep, Turkey, near the epicenter of the first quake.
- Oxfam-America: Responding to the humanitarian need and helping to save lives.
- CARE: Reaching tens of thousands of vulnerable people with emergency food, health services, shelter and much more.
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy: Providing vital resources to earthquake-affected communities as they work to rebuild and recover
- Americares: Responding with medicine, relief supplies and emergency funding to help survivors access health services.
- GlobalGiving Foundation: Providing emergency relief and fuelling long-term recovery efforts.
- HelpAge USA: Working with local partners to develop an appropriate humanitarian response that is inclusive of older people, especially older women and those with disabilities
- American Red Cross: Deploying in ten affected provinces in the south and southeast regions with stocks of food and basic aid items such as tents and blankets to support the injured and evacuated.
- UN Association for UNHCR (UN Refugee Agency): Providing blankets, emergency shelther, lifesaving aid and medicine.
Canadian-based organizations to donate to:
- Save the Children - Canada: Providing support to thousands of people in need and supporting affected communities.
- Humanitarian Coalition: Providing shelter, clean water, sanitation services, protection services, and health care.
- Doctors Without Borders Canada / Médecins Sans Frontières Canada: Providing emergency medical kits and medical staff in Gaziantep, Turkey, near the epicenter of the first quake.
- Oxfam Canada: Responding to the humanitarian need and helping to save lives.
- CARE Canada: Reaching tens of thousands of vulnerable people with emergency food, health services, shelter and much more.
- International Development and Relief Foundation: Providing blankets, heaters, tents and jackets, warm meals and emergency first aid to families affected by this crisis.
- UNHCR: Providing blankets, emergency shelter, lifesaving aid and medicine.
- Canadian Red Cross / Croix-Rouge Canadienne: Delivering emergency relief and getting help to those impacted by the earthquakes as quickly as possible.
U.K.-based organizations to donate to:
- International Medical Corps (UK): Bringing medical and mental health services, as well as vital supplies to people affected by the quakes.
- Save the Children: Ready to respond with urgent supplies of food, shelter and warm clothing.
- The United Kingdom Committee for Unicef: Supporting children who have lost their homes, those who are sleeping rough, and those who have been separated from their families.
- United Kingdom for UNHCR: Delivering lifesaving emergency aid.
- The British Red Cross: Providing first aid and helping people to safety.
- Care International UK: Delivering essential items to people seeking refuge from the earthquake, including food, water, shelter and life-saving healthcare.
Australian-based organizations to donate to:
- Australian Red Cross: Delivering emergency relief and getting help to those impacted by the earthquakes as quickly as possible.
- Care Australia: Providing emergency aid including food, shelter, water and other lifesaving supplies to those affected by the earthquakes.
- Save the Children: Responding with urgent lifesaving assistance in Türkiye.
- Australia for UNHCR: Distributing emergency supplies, including high-thermal blankets, mattresses and other life-saving items.
Turkey (Türkiye)-based organizations to donate to:
- Support to Life (STL) Hayata Destek Dernegi: Providing humanitarian aid efforts in the provinces of Hatay, Diyarbakır, Şanlıurfa and Adana
- AKUT Arama Kurtarma Derneği: Continuing search and rescue efforts, and evacuating citizens.
Download the disaster relief kit
To make it easier for your people to take action, we’re sharing our Turkey (Türkiye) disaster
relief kit that includes trusted resources you can use today to create an impactful relief
Download the disaster relief kit for:
- A giving opportunity — Vetted nonprofits* your people can donate to, along with a
summary of how their donations will help.
- A news item — A communication template summarizing the significance of this disaster
and how people can get involved.
- Image suggestions – Inspire your people to take action.
*Note: The earthquake struck both Turkey (Türkiye) and Syria. This kit focuses on Turkey, but as some of the selected causes are responding to the larger crisis, some donated funds may support the emergency response in Syria.
Are you a Benevity client? Download your disaster relief kit through the B-Hive.