March 1, 2022
It is estimated that as many as 18 million people need emergency assistance and more than 4 million have fled Ukraine into neighboring countries, a number that could climb to millions more over the coming days.
Most families leaving Ukraine will do so with very little, and often heartbreakingly leave family members behind. They are facing an uncertain future and unimaginable challenges.
To support this urgent situation, we have provided a list of vetted humanitarian nonprofits below providing food, medicine, shelter, and other necessities to people on the ground in Ukraine or assisting with refugee settlement outside of the country.
U.S.-based organizations to donate to:
- USA for UNHCR (The UN Refugee Agency) delivers emergency aid to civilians in need.
- UNICEF USA meets urgent and escalating needs for safe water, healthcare, nutrition and protection.
- American Red Cross repairs vital infrastructure, supports health facilities with medicines and equipment and supports families with food and hygiene items.
- Nova Ukraine delivers humanitarian relief and helps vulnerable populations that must relocate.
- GlobalGiving supports humanitarian assistance in impacted communities in Ukraine and surrounding regions where refugees have fled.
- International Medical Corps provides primary and emergency health services from medical professionals in Ukraine and neighboring countries.
- Save the Children Federation helps the 7.5 million children of Ukraine caught in the crossfires of war.
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy responds to humanitarian needs, particularly among internally displaced peoples and refugees.
- Americares provides medicine, medical supplies and medical professionals and helps families access essential healthcare services.
- CARE USA provides lifesaving food, water and hygiene kits to the most vulnerable in Ukraine.
- HelpAge USA provides food, medicine and hygiene supplies for older people in Ukraine.
- Direct Relief distributes donated medicine and medical supplies to Ukrainian healthcare providers.
- Doctors Without Borders / Médecins sans frontières (MSF) sets up emergency response activities in Ukraine and dispatches teams to Poland, Moldova, Hungary, Romania and Slovakia.
- Team Rubicon works alongside local agencies to help the most vulnerable.
- Airlink connects with humanitarian, logistics and airline partners in the region to send relief supplies.
- International Committee of the Red Cross responds to urgent humanitarian needs and supports the most vulnerable people.
- World Central Kitchen serves thousands of fresh meals to families fleeing Ukraine.
- World Food Program USA provides food assistance for people fleeing Ukraine.
Canadian-based organizations to donate to:
- UNICEF provides children with access to water, sanitation, nutrition, education, health and protection services.
- UNHCR Canada (The UN Refugee Agency) provides lifesaving protection to families forced to flee their homes.
- Canadian Red Cross/Croix-Rouge Canadienne supports immediate and ongoing relief efforts, both in Ukraine and surrounding countries, including support for displaced populations.
- SOS Children’s Villages Canada offers safe and nurturing homes to orphaned children.
- Canada-Ukraine Foundation sends supplies of food and medicine to displaced people.
- David McAntony Gibson Foundation distributes food, hygiene items and shelter to people leaving Ukraine.
- Save the Children Canada / Aide à L’enfance Canada provides humanitarian assistance to families fleeing to neighboring countries.
- Doctors Without Borders / Médecins sans frontières Canada provides people with access to critical healthcare and medicine.
- HelpAge Canada provides food, medicine and hygiene supplies for older people, their families and communities.
- Help Us Help delivers humanitarian aid.
- CARE Canada delivers relief supplies to Ukraine, including food, hygiene items, diapers, sleeping bags and mats.
- Humanitarian Coalition provides food, shelter, clean water, sanitation supplies and other essentials.
- IDRF supports ongoing humanitarian relief efforts, both in Ukraine and surrounding countries.
- Disaster Aid Canada distributes resources to refugees and those who aren’t able to get aid by other means.
U.K.-based organizations to donate to:
- UNICEF United Kingdom sustains health and protection services for children and provides clean water and nutritious food for families.
- The British Red Cross Society provides food, medicine, basic medical supplies, shelter and water.
- United Kingdom for UNHCR (The UN Refugee Agency) delivers humanitarian assistance, including emergency shelter, winter clothing and blankets.
- International Medical Corps (U.K.) provides emergency care to vulnerable civilians fleeing war.
- Doctors Without Borders / Médecins sans frontières U.K. sets up emergency response activities in Ukraine and deploys teams in Poland, Moldova, Hungary, Romania and Slovakia.
- CARE International UK provides emergency relief, including food, water and hygiene kits.
Australian-based organizations to donate to:
- Australian Committee for UNICEF Limited protects and improves the lives of children.
- Australia for UNHCR (The UN Refugee Agency) provides safety and shelter to people forced to flee their homes.
- Australian Red Cross supports and protects the people caught up in the crisis.
- Save the Children supports families fleeing Ukraine into neighboring countries, including Poland, Romania and Lithuania.
- CARE Australia provides emergency relief, including food, water and hygiene kits.
- Doctors Without Borders / Médecins sans frontières Australia responds rapidly to emergency situations and delivers urgent medical treatment to people in need.
Donate through Benevity’s Community Impact Portal
Anyone can donate through Benevity’s Community Impact Portal through the links above or by searching for specific nonprofits. Note that due to international sanctions on Russia and Belarus and the suspension of currency markets in Ukraine, donations cannot be made to causes based in Russia or Belarus at this time.
As the situation evolves, we will update this post and our Community Impact Portal with additional nonprofits — as we learn more about the important, ongoing humanitarian work in Ukraine and the needs of those impacted and are confident that donations will make it to their selected causes.
Leading a corporate campaign to provide humanitarian relief to Ukraine? Download our crisis kit to activate your people.
To make it easier for your people to take action, we’re sharing our Ukraine Crisis Kit, including trusted resources you can use today to create an impactful relief campaign. If you’re a Benevity client, you can download your kit through the B-Hive.
The kit includes:
- A list of vetted U.S., Canadian, U.K., Australian, Polish, Hungarian, French, German, Swiss, Romanian, and Ukrainian organizations providing food, medicine, shelter and other necessities to people on the ground or assisting with refugee settlement outside of the country.
- Text to create awareness around the issue and the vetted U.S., Canadian, U.K. and Australian causes that you can use in your communications.
- Suggested images you can license to inspire action.
Many of Benevity’s clients are already using this content to engage their people. It’s suitable for companies of any size, and you don’t have to be a Benevity client to use it. We hope you find this content useful in mobilizing support for the people of Ukraine.